Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 4

Sorry for the pathetic post yesterday! I literally came home from a LONG day at work, fell asleep on the couch, and forgot to eat dinner. Reason #47 why God gave me Jim - he takes care of me when I can't take care of myself!

On a happier note, Jim sent me TWO emails and TWO text messages today! Here are some tidbits from those messages:

"So... let me tell you about taxi rides. First of all, the fact that I am alive today tells you that they were successful trips. That being said, safety is not the feeling that one gets while riding in a taxi cab or hotel bus. The '100% Perfect Hotel' was anything but perfect, but the bus/shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel was worth however poor the hotel accommodations were. So awesome! I feel like I could make an awesome video game out of that kind of ride... truly amazing. People don't use cross-walks, nor do the vehicles slow down for them. I can't tell you how many times we almost killed someone. And I'm pretty sure the rules of the road are 'if you have the larger vehicle (or crappier one) then you get the right-of-way.' So, to sum up... truly unique experience with a heightened sense of fear, but in the end coming out OK. Pretty fun!

And let me tell you a little bit about 'hot-pot'... I'm at about 6500ft above sea-level, so it's fairly chilly, but the "hot-pot" experience warms you right up. Basically it's a HUGE bowl of soup that they bring out (I have a picture), and then you throw stuff in it while it boils. Stuff you throw in it includes: ginger, bean sprouts, lotus root, carrots, squash, lettuce, bakchoi, mini-mushrooms, and then a giant carp-looking fish (complete with fish head and eyes) that was alive about 4 minutes prior to throwing it in. Fun stuff."

I can't post everything his email said, but I do want to let you all know that his meetings have been very successful, and he is very encouraged by the work that is being done there.

As for me, I wrapped up my last day of work for the week and am very much looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow! After work, I enjoyed a delicious dinner made by our dear friends Reece and Shauna at their house and played with their baby girl (who gets more delightful everyday!) To top it off, I received some much-needed updates from my husband. I can't express how thankful I am to know that he is well and having a successful trip!

All in all, what a great day! Thank you all for your continued prayers, encouragement and support - and for feeding me!

Cries had: 1.5
Days to go: 7

No comments: