Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Contractions, part 2.

What a super terrific week it's been already.

It started on my second night shift of the three I was scheduled to work this week. Somewhere between a crash c-section and a really horrible vaginal delivery, I didn't get a chance to eat or drink or take a break for 9 hours. Apparently my uterus did not appreciate that because by the end of my shift I was contracting painfully again (and in tears).

I monitored myself for an hour, saw I was contracting every 5 minutes, and decided to go home. I was exhausted and had to be back to work that night so I promised my co-workers I would drink plenty of water and it would all be ok.

It wasn't ok. Between painful contractions and having to pee every 45 minutes from all the water I drank, I didn't sleep at all. I returned to work early to monitor myself again, saw I was still contracting, and broke down sobbing (more or less from exhaustion than pain this time).

A few minutes later I was in an exam room with an IV and Dr. H was on his way. Two liters of fluid and dozing in and out of sleep for a few hours made my angry uterus calm down and they sent me home to sleep.

So all's well that ends well. Baby girl didn't seem to mind the contractions as much as I did. I'm just hoping "Contractions, part 3" will hold off for a good 13-15 more weeks.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

oh Daja, this worries me! You work too hard, sweetie! I'll go to work for you so you can save up your sick time for when she comes :) Oh wait, they probably DON'T want me delivering babies!!! But I would if I could :)